Friday, October 23, 2015

Just an update / Seeking banjoist Wendy Holcombe material

It's been over a year since my last post, and I thought I would try to get back into the swing of things. I tend to spend a lot of my online time perusing Facebook, but I also spend a great deal of that time discovering other music genres and avenues for purchase on compact disc. I'm slowly working towards resuming my Blogger activities. "Shoot That Turkey Buzzard" was initially started as an old-time music blog, as a way for me to connect with others who may have access to OTM currently unavailable on disc, or those who may be able to direct me to such sources, either online or via private collectors.

At the present time, I'm in the process of ripping my albums to my hard drive; spot-checking for any errors and organizing the media into folders. From there, I'll work towards finding a suitable cloud-storage option to ensure a safer backup. I'm currently using Google Play Music's online-upload option, but it's a slow and tedious process; either the songs don't seem to upload, or duplicates will upload, or they'll upload with nonsensical ID3/metadata tags (so I'll have to manually rename the files). I've currently stopped fighting with it and am concentrating on organization first of all.

On to new business!

I spend a lot of time with my 92 year-old grandmother, Edna, after grandpa Leonard's passing last April, and old-time music is a staple in the household. We watch a lot of RFDTV, catching episodes of "Pop Goes the Country," and "Nashville on the Road," and "Porter Wagoner" when we can. Whilst watching these programs, we've had the pleasure of discovering the late "Little Miss" Wendy Holcombe, pickin' the banjer. If ever there was anyone taken from Earth before her time, it was Wendy Lou. I've discovered the solitary CD release of some of her material (here), and am wondering if there are any other Holcombe collectors out there who might have Wendy's media appearances saved to their hard drives or in the cloud?

I note that some of her performances are on YouTube, but usually only a minute or two worth of banjo - what I'm seeking is as much footage as possible, be it either music or simply screen-time, for whatever television show she may have appeared on in the 70s or 80s (I know that she was on other shows than those mentioned above). I would be particularly interested in the 1981 TV movie, "Wendy Hooper, U.S. Army."

To learn a little more about Wendy's life, religion, and relationship with the late Tommy Yoshiro Blosser (a fascinating story in its own right), please check out this Blogger entry posted by his brother, "Pertinacious Papist" in April of 2006. Mayuin God bless and keep them both, they seemed to be the sincere and genuine article when it came to living and loving the excitement of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment